Friday, September 5, 2008

Great-Grandpa

While we were gone, Great Grandpa passed away. He was only sick for about two weeks. I thought we really had more time. I think that in a way it was what he would have wanted. He did not want to be in pain or in a nursing home after he saw what Grandma went through. We will miss him and he had a bond with the kids. It is hard to believe he is gone. He was always there- a constant. Even though you know something like this might happen, it is still hard. He had a great life. I hope that I was able to honor him in a eulogy I read at his funeral. He was so proud to be a Purple Heart Marine-he just attended a reunion August 14th. He taught us the Marine principles of courage, honor and hard work. One day recently, I was thinking that if he had not survived both Malaria and being wounded in action, that our family would not be here. Grandpa was the definition of tough. He never all his life felt pain. Perhaps that was a blessing. You are a huge part of who we are, Grandpa, and I hope we can honor you in our lives.

No comments: